Friday, August 5, 2016 – Lansing – The 2016 Michigan primary campaign is just a few days in the rearview mirror and there are still roughly 100 days until we elect the nation’s next President, so the Pundit Poll is, of course, looking ahead to the 2018 campaign for Governor. Who’s running? Who’s not? We asked 101 of Michigan’s political experts and insiders.
For the Republicans, Attorney General Bill Schuette is an absolute lock. Lt. Governor Brian Calley is leaning that way. Congresswoman Candice Miller not so much.
- Attorney General Schuette: 100 percent yes, he will run.
- Lt. Governor Brian Calley: 68 percent said yes, 20 percent said no, and 12 percent were unsure.
- Congresswoman Candice Miller: 22 percent said she would run, 67 percent said she wouldn’t, and 11 percent were unsure.
For the Democrats, no one hit the 100 percent mark, but there are a couple very good bets.
- Congressman Dan Kildee: 86 percent said he would run, 12 percent said no, and 2 percent were unsure.
- Former State Senator Gretchen Whitmer: 81 percent said she was in, 16 percent no, and 3 percent unsure.
- Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan: 14 percent said yes and an overwhelming 85 percent take the Mayor at his word that he will not run. 2 percent were unsure.
- Macomb County Exec. Mark Hackel: 16 percent said yes, 67 percent said no, and 16 percent were unsure.
You can check out Tim Skubick's WLNS story on this latest poll here.
The Pundit Poll is a new survey on the latest political news and issues in Michigan. The survey uses emails to collect the compiled and confidential responses from political strategists, consultants, and insiders across Michigan, with the goal of offering an insider’s look at the political issues facing the state. A full list of the more than 100 pundits in the poll can be found at: www.thepunditpoll.com.
This was a Resch Strategies/Denno Research survey of Michigan political experts, pundits, and members of the media. 101 respondents were invited and 66 responded. The survey was emailed Tuesday, August 2 and the survey was closed Wednesday August 3, 2016.